STEP #1 – WHAT ARE YOU CELEBRATING?
Every January, we set our big goals and intentions for the coming year. Then, we work hard to achieve them and focus on ticking them off our list as quickly as possible. But so often, we rush from one goal to the next, without taking the time to savour these milestones along the way.
The key to creating greater fulfillment and satisfaction in your personal and professional life? Acknowledging and celebrating your success.
Start out by asking yourself —
- What am I celebrating this year?
- What were the highlights, goals that you accomplished, challenges that you overcame or results you reached in your career, business and life?
Make a list of everything you’re celebrating. Then, highlight the top 2-3 achievements or successes you’re most proud of in 2019 and why they’re important to you.
STEP #2 – WHAT’S YOUR BIGGEST LEARNING?
What did you learn in 2019? Think about the mistakes you made or things that didn’t go to plan.
Remember, even if something you attempted this year wasn’t successful, you can never be a failure. To fail simply means you had the courage to test something out, push yourself out of your comfort zone, learn and grow. We learn from our mistakes so we can make better choices and more aligned decisions in future.
- Start by listing out your key learnings for 2019
- Then, make a note of the most significant lessons and ask yourself — What did I learn from this experience? And why is this lesson important?
- Finally, consider — What would I do differently next time? How can I course correct or avoid making a similar mistake in future?
STEP #3 – WHAT YOU’RE NO LONGER SAYING YES TO
What do you want to let go of in 2020? Consider —
- Fears, negative emotions or limiting beliefs that are holding you back and keeping you stuck — the fear of failure or success, imposter syndrome or not being good enough
- The things you feel you ‘have to’ or ‘should do’ based on other people’s agendas or opinions
- Commitments or relationships that are no longer serving you
- Anything you’re no longer willing to say YES to as we enter the new decade
Using the prompts above, make a list of everything you’d like to let go of in the new year.
Then, ask yourself —
- What’s the impact on your health, important relationships, happiness or mental wellbeing?
- What has it cost you?
- Why do you need to let it go now?
Finally, prioritise the key things you’re no longer saying yes to in 2020. And make a commitment to yourself to honour those promises.
STEP #4 – WHAT’S YOUR INTENTION FOR 2020?
Now you’ve reflected on your successes and learnings and know what you want to leave behind in 2020, it’s important to set your intentions for next year.
- What are the goals that you want to accomplish in 2020?
- What results do you want to achieve in all areas of your life — your work, relationships, health, personal or professional development?
- How do you want to spend your time?
- What is the vision for the life that you want to create?
Let your mind wander and write down everything that you’d like to do or accomplish in 2020.
Then, set your intentions for the year ahead. Highlight your top 5-10 goals and why they’re important to you. Understanding the purpose behind your goals will keep you on track during the challenging times — making it more likely that you’ll accomplish them!
Finally, list out your primary goals as if you’ve already achieved them. Finish this sentence:
On 31 December 2020, I will have (list the goal or intention as if it’s happened) and this is important to me because (insert reason why it’s important to you).
Not only does writing down our goals help us remember them. Studies show that writing them down — as if they’ve already happened — makes it more likely that we’ll achieve them. This is because our brains automatically seek out the important information that we need to accomplish our goals — whilst discarding the rest!
Christmas is the perfect time to reflect on your year and what you want for 2020. This simple year-end reflection will help you review 2019 and successfully transition into the new decade!